Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday (22)

Top 10 Tuesdays
Topic: Top Ten Bookish Confessions
This meme is created by The Broke and the Bookish, anyone can participle telling about their top 10 topic items are.

1. I have an book addiction  
Surprise! Like all the rest of the bloggers I have so many books on my shelves and on the floor. I have books in every room and I have no room for them. I have three 5 shelf bookcases, a slim dvd turned bookcase, a 4 shelf bookcase, 2 rubber maid tubs filled with books in my closet and stacks of books laying round everywhere.

2. I hate paying full list price for a book
As much as I want to support the authors and bookstores, I have always been a saver, a coupon and a sale person. Since I also used to work at Borders and get a discount paying full price is so hard for me, I will only buy 1 book at full price to support the book event. Other than that I scour used bookstores, thankfully we have some awesome used bookstores that have a lot of new in good condition books.

3. I hate/love starting a new series/trilogy where book one has just been released
This is always killer knowing I have to wait years for the whole series to finally be out. I would rather I had picked up the series as it was just finishing.

4. Don't care for the classics
I read Pride and Prejudice but I prefer the movie. I just don't get the old language, the courtship stuff and the ___shire stuff is so freaking weird. There are a few others I would like to try, but I will always drag my feet with ever starting them.

5. I haven't checked out a book from the library to read in years
I do how ever check out audio books from the library. I figure if I read the book and like it I'm going to want to buy it anyways, so I might as well just buy the book, read it and keep it. I rarely end up with books that I don't like.

6. I have a kindle but I have never bought a book for it
My friend gave me her old kindle that she wasn't using. I have only used it for eARCs and free Amazon books. I just can't justify buying a file when I could spend less on a used book and actually have the book to maybe get signed.

7. I have gone to signings where I haven't even read the books or anything from the author
This is a very common thing for me to do. If the book interests me I will go to the event, get the book and hopefully read it one day.

8. I didn't like to read when I was younger
I started liking to read when my cousin (same age as me) had me read Danielle Steel's Star in the 8th grade which was given to her by our grandma. I devoured lots of Steel for a few years, but then I stopped and I haven't read anything of hers since.

9. I'm not an hours long bookstore browser... anymore
I have my sections young adult, paranormal romance and sci-fi fantasy that I search through. If I want it can take me 20 minutes to look through each section or a little as 8 minuets. I'm trying not to buy anymore new series or get books that I just won't have time to get through.

10. I have 3 extra copies of 1 book
Hardback 1st edition Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey, it took me 2 years searching through used bookstores to find 2 copies of first 3 books in this trilogy for my cousin and I. So now when I pass another copy I have to pick it up. I now have 3 extra copies and I don't know who to give them to and who I am willing to give them to, they are just so precious I just don't want them to leave me. Oh man, see number 1.

What are your bookish confessions


<3Books

4 comments:

April (BooksandWine) said...

This reminds me I need to read Kushiel's Dart soon.

ALSO! I totally go to author events all the time where I have not read anything by the author.

My TTT

Rachel said...

Great post! I have a Kindle, too, but I haven't spent money on a book for it; I like my books to be real!

Thanks for stopping by!

Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

lillylilac said...

I'm not really a fan of the classic either and I've stopped using my library a while ago too. I also try not to pay full price for books either.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, this post makes me smile so big, as a reader and a writer:~) I actually LOL at #10! It's funny b/c I didn't care for the Kindle my hubby bought me for Mother's Day last year until I joined the gym this summer. It's so much easier to set on the tredmill and read, plus nobody knows what you're reading *coughs* As for the classics, I'm a sucker for sitting around the firepit with my daughers on Sunday nights when the air finally cools in FL and reading to them. We've done Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Sherlock Holmes, and Peter Pan so far:-)