Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Season of Eden Review

Season of Eden
Summary
He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible.
I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.

What I Liked
Characters
James Christian aka Mr. Christian: <Sign> I wish I could have had a drool worthy teacher when I went to high school. My school had one younger teacher (24-28ish) that a few female students (I included, but he also taught my favorite subject Greek mythology) that did have a crush on. There was actually some rumors going around that him and a student were seeing each other and the student was only 17. I never did find out if this was just a rumor or if there was any truth to this. His character did remind me of being back in high school and the drama that goes along with it.
Eden: At first I didn't really like Eden that much, I'm not a fan of spoiled, rich, popular type of people/characters. As the story progressed, Eden matured and she learned more about herself and life and I started to like her more. I still think it is really weird to read about her "stalking" habits, that is a little too obsessive and crazy for my taste.
For the Love of Music
I can't sing or play the piano, but Mr. Christian sure did make all of that seem very sexy and appealing. The teasing, sexual innuendo, the passion for music and the temptations of the unobtainable all added and enhanced the book.
Student Teacher Relationships
A very dangerous but appealing topic to make a young adult romantic book about. I had a few people ask what I was reading while at work and I was hesitant to tell about this subject because some people in WA have a very strong opinion about this matter especially considering that infamous Mary Kay Latourneau student love affair that happened in WA. I'm glad that Jennifer made Eden of legal consenting age, but I was still a little nervous throughout the entire books for these two characters. It took me a little bit of time to decide what I wanted/hoped for their relationship.

A Personal Tangent 
Age Ain't Nothing But a Number
A year of age can make all the difference of maturity when your a teenager dating someone older, but when you have surpassed those teen numbers age isn't that important. My husband and I are 5 years apart, one less than our two characters Mr. Christian and Eden. I wouldn't want to be with anyone my age, my maturity is beyond boys my age, but when you are in high school the age difference is more apparent. I have always loved to tease my husband and remind him that when he was driving and in high school I was in elementary school playing on the play ground.
I recommend that young women (19+) want to be in a serious relationship try dating a guy that is around 3-5 years older. This is just my personal experience with age and maturity with boys.

What I Didn't Like
Dang the ending, it is one of those endings where it leaves you to assume the conclusion. I would have loved at least 1 more sentence. I'm thinking I should just get a pen and write that ONE last line in for myself.

Recommendation 
Worth the read for sure. I enjoyed the story, the drama and the romantic tension.

Information
Independent Novels
Season of Eden
Overprotected
Falling for Romeo
Magic Hands
Nailed
Heavenly Trilogy
Heavenly
Patience
Absolution

Did you have a crush on any of your teachers?


<3Books

1 comment:

Fiktshun said...

I loved this book. But then again I'm a huge fan of author Jennifer Laurens. That ending left so much up in the air, but then it also didn't. It killed me though. Left me totally tied up in knots.

I know what you mean about droolworthy teachers. Only had one of those. And although he was definitely flirty he was in a committed relationship and didn't go out with any students, at least that would kiss and tell.

I'm so glad you read this book though! YAY!

Oh and she also wrote An Open Vein which I still have on my pile! I hope she comes out with a new book soon.

Great review and I loved the personal touches.