Friday, February 3, 2012

Cinder Review

Cinder

Summary
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


What I Loved 
Cinderella 
I am a sucker for any retelling of Cinderella, it has always been one of my favorites. This version puts a whole new twist on the story, put the story in the future add some freakish disease killing off people and then add cyborgs into the mix and top it off with Cinder(ella) being part cyborg and not fully human. Keep the wicked stepmother, one wicked stepsister, one nice step sister, slavery in her own home and the handsome prince all the same. There you have it a perfect recipe for a new original Cinderella story. 
Characters
Cinder: She is such a wonderful character. Cinder isn't a hopelessly romantic pushover, but a realist who can't help but dream a little. One after another she faces hardships and struggles and she never gives up hope that one day she will get out of her crappy situation. 
Prince Kai: I love this prince that is for sure. I understand why he has such a girl fan base, I would be part of that too. I also love that he knows Cinder as a mechanic, it is so cute that he gets to see her down and dirty with grease on her face.

Didn't Like
The ending was a cliffhanger, it sucks that I have to wait for the next book to come out. I really want to have the next book in my hands right now.

Recommendation 
Must read, go out and buy it now or move it to the top of your reading pile.

Information 
Genre: YA, Sci-fi, Fantasy 
Lunar Chronicles 
Cinder
Scarlet 2013
Cress 2014
Winter 2015

I did get to go to Marissa' launch party, which was awesome. Check out my Recap of the event.

Have you read this wonderful debut book yet?


<3Books

6 comments:

Erica said...

I really enjoyed this one - I am with you on the cliffhanger, ha. I think it worked but now I am so eager for boo k2.

Bookluvr Mindy said...

I can't wait to pick this one up! I've been really looking forward to reading it. Nice review!

Kristina said...

@Erica It was a terribly awesome cliffhanger, so looking forward to Scarlet I can't wait to see where she takes the story.

@Mindy you need to pick it up asap! It is awesome!!

Unknown said...

I'm a sucker for fairy-tales! Cinder is on the top of my TBR pile.

Toni D. said...

I just wrote a review for this last night! I really want to get my hands on book 2 already. I totally loved Cinder and Prince Kai, but there were a few things that I found disappointing.

Nicola said...

I'm really glad to see you loved this one! I have it waiting for me on my Kindle and I'm so excited about it. I need to get to it REALLY soon! Lovely review. :)

In My Mailbox #9