Thursday, March 17, 2011

Angelfire Review

Angelfire

Summary
First there are nightmares.

Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.

Then come the memories.

When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

Now she must hunt.

Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.

What I liked about the book
Will: He is my favorite type of male character, mysterious, broody and handsome. He believes in Ellie's abilities and knows her like no one else does. He is a great guardian, only wanting to protect and serve her, putting Ellie's safe and happiness above his own. Completely self sacrificing and devoted to her alone. What is not to love about Will. I think he is a better male character than the charismatic Edward Cullen. 
Love Interest:
A great sweet innocent love, passionate feelings but neither willing to express nor show them. They are an amazing pair. I almost cried towards the end, I won't tell you what happens you have to read for yourself. I love the sweet inmate touches they share.
Conflict:
I love the issues Courtney has created between Ellie and Will as well as good vs evil. Ellie's human life span is very short just like Lauren Kate's Fallen character Luce, reincarnation over and over again, tragic dead and rebirth into another family only to regain her memories and fight again. A never ending cycle of violence for Ellie, poor girl.   
Evil:
The Fallen angels and their offspring of sorts. I got a little confused about what was what, I don't know much angel mythology so some things went over my head, but I just kept reading. Bad guys want to kill Ellie's soul for good and to help get the second war/apocalypse in motion. The reapers were monsters not to mess with, big, ugly things that just eat people and steal their soul for hell. :(
Action:
Lots of good action and fighting scenes throughout the whole book. The book never had a dull moment, someone or something was always getting bloodied. Ellie also has flashbacks of her past deaths, they are pretty gruesome and awesome, I love action!
Ellie's Twist:
I loved the information about Ellie that we get around the end of the book. Great stuff!!! Her identity gets revealed, no I won't tell you, you have to read it to find out who she is.
I'm still a little up in the air about
Ellie: I'm not completely in love with her character throughout the whole book. At first I really was getting annoyed with her and the whole "it was a dream" excuse. I really love strong female characters, whinny and vain characters drive me nuts. She goes back and forth throughout the book of completely willing to step into her role that she must play and then goes to being pathetic and scared. She is wicked powerful yet she isn't fully embracing herself, but then the next moment she does and I love her. I am really looking forward to herself fully awaking to her memories. I want to know what she will be like then!

What I didn't like
There wasn't really anything specific I didn't like, besides Ellie certain at points in the book.
Sad for the end of the book, now I have to wait another year, major bummer!! 
I want to know more about Will, but I have to wait for that as well.

Would I recommend this book to own
Yes: You need to buy it, put it in your online shopping cart or put in on your list to buy when you go book shopping next
Yes: I would also gift this book to a friend. 

Information 
Angelfire will at least be a 3 book series
Wing of the Wicked early 2012
Hymn of the Fallen early 2013
She is doing some events, with Dark Day of Winter Tour and after tours as well, check here to see if she is coming near you (sadly not near me yet )

Have you read Angelfire yet? If you have what did you like most about it?


<3Books




No comments: