Wednesday, March 23, 2011

City of Ashes Review

City of Ashes 

Summary
 Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

;In this breathtaking sequel to
City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

*Spoil alert* if you haven't read book 3 City of Glass yet tread carefully!
So I had initially started this book a year ago and got 80 pages into it, but I had to put it down because I couldn't get over the fact that Jace and Clary are now brother and sister, I loved them as a couple too much. One of my friends was reading the series and she told me just read the books, but I was whining about it so she decided to reveal, "they aren't brother and sisters, they hint throughout the books that they aren't, so just read them!!" When I decided to try reading Ashes again, I went in with the mind set, they are NOT related and that made it much more enjoyable and easier to read.

What I Like About the Book
Romance
It is so awkward and cute to see Jace and Clary try to not be attracted to each other, try to be brotherly and sisterly towards each other, but they completely fail. Their looks that they share, the unfailing concern for each others safety is their top priority. I can't wait till I ready City of Glass and figure out what Valentine was playing at with naming Jace his son. 
Clary and Simon are so weird together as a couple, they don't fit. They are perfect friends, but they have the relationship that doesn't transcend to the lovers level.
Drama
There is lots of good drama throughout the entire book. Where is Valentine? When will he strike next? When will Clary's mom wake up? The tension between Jace and Clary throughout the ENTIRE book. Lots of good action and some crazy twists in the story. Clary and Jace's new development in their abilities. What did Valentine do to them?
There is never a dull moment in the book, if it starts to get a little slow, BAM an attack and some new development is going on.

Slightly Annoying
Characters
Clary: She is a little too whiny, I wish she would start learning how to fight. I know she just now learned about this world she is apart, but she can't escape it and she is part of the magical community, she isn't a mundane.I don't like screaming characters.
Jace: He is very stuck up and very arrogant. But I love seeing those moments of his personality when he lets his guard down with the people he loves and cares about.
Jace and Clary aren't my favorite characters, they have traits that I'm not the biggest fan of, but they do shine through at the right moments. They are perfect for each other and I can't wait to read more in City of Glass.

Would I Recommend This Book to Own
Yes: Order it online or go out to the stores and buy the series.
Yes: I would give this book as a gift to a friend

Information
Mortal Instruments 
Book 1: City of Bones
Book 2: City of Ashes
Book 3: City of Glass
Book 4: City of Fallen Angels release date is April 5, 2011
Book 5: City of Lost Souls in May 2012
Book 6: City of Heavenly Fire in September 2013
Spin Off Series
Infernal Devices: prequel trilogy
Book 1: Clockwork Angel
Book 2: Clockwork Prince in September 2011
Book 3: Clockwork Princess in December 2012

She will be doing a tour for The City of Fallen Angels
Check here to see if she will be coming near you
She will be coming near me so I'll be there with my friend that spoiled the books for me, thankfully she did


Have you read the series? Are you part of the Mortal Instruments craze? 



<3Books


2 comments:

Jennifer A said...

Great review!

Yes, I've read the series. I like the books well enough, but I wouldn't say I'm a part of the craze. I don't know, they're good, but they didn't blow my mind or anything. Maybe I need to read them again in the future??

City of Glass is really good though. I think the books just got better and better as they went along, and City of Glass was the best.

I haven't read the spin-off series yet. I need to get on that!

Jennifer
http://littleshelf.blogspot.com/

Kristina said...

That is what my friend has said, they get better and better with each book. I'm looking forward to finishing Glass, just started it today.