Friday, April 13, 2012

White Horse Review

White Horse

Summary
Thirty-year-old Zoe leads an ordinary life until the end of the world arrives. She is cleaning cages and floors at Pope Pharmaceuticals when the President of the United States announces that human beings are no longer a viable species. When Zoe realizes that everyone she loves is disappearing, she starts running. Scared and alone in a shockingly changed world, she embarks on a remarkable journey of survival and redemption. Along the way, Zoe comes to see that humans are not defined by their genetic code, but rather by their actions and choices. White Horse offers hope for a broken world, where love can lead to the most unexpected places.

What I Loved
Intense
Many parts during the book had me sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. The book is filled with survival, killings, lots death and a race against time.
Character
Zoe: What an amazing character. She has survived against all the odds and has even conceived while 90% of the worlds population is dead. Zoe has lost everything and everyone she has ever cared about and to go in search of her lover that may even be dead is risky and brave. Traveling from America to Europe while pregnant is a huge task.
Post-Apocalyptic
The world has ended by a disease that has wiped out 90% of the worlds population. The other 10% is immune or has been transformed by the disease making them to be something not so human. I wonder what percent I would fall into? The dead, immune or mutated?
Trilogy
Even though this is being planned as a trilogy the ending was summed up really well. I still want to know what is going to happen in the next book, but I wasn't left with a lot of loose ends.
Now & Then
The book goes back and forth between pre-disease/outbreak/after effects to now and her traveling through Europe. The time span of the book is only 18 months (I think). Going back and forth in the timelines is both aggravating and awesome. A part will be really intense and something new is being revealed and then it will got to the Then timeline, but that part will be just as good and it will cut back again. We go back and forth between two times that are both intense and intriguing and I want to be in-taking it all at once. 

Confusion
Now & Then
With the alternating timelines it does get confusing. The information about how civilization ends really isn't explained in the beginning, bit by bit gets revealed as Zoe either finds out the information or reveals it. A few times with the Then timeline hops between being later in the after effects and then goes back to pre-disease. Just paying attention to the story and reading it makes everything understandable. 

Recommendation
Adult post-apocalyptic thriller trilogy that is a must read.

Releases
April 17, 2012

Information 
White Horse Trilogy 
White Horse
Red Horse ?
Pale Horse ?


<3Books

2 comments:

BookLuvr Mindy said...

Your feelings about this one is a lot like I'm feeling with the book I'm reading right now...The Immortal Rules!

When a book alternates timelines actually drives me insane but I'll have to keep my eyes open for this one.

Alba said...

Okay, I'm sold I just added it to my wishlist hehehe

I've read few books like with this kind of pace that alternates present and past. But if it is how you say it is then I can rest assured that I won't get lost :D

I'm currently reading a book written in chronological reverse order??? how do you even write that? lol but yeap...It starts with what's happening now and goes backwards with little chapters in between that showcases the present/future lol I know I made no sense but I'm liking the book :P