Monday, September 26, 2011

The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star

Summary
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.


What I Liked
Jack the Ripper Has Returned
The Ripper is a scary figure to choose as the main villain within a book. The murderer that got away, an unknown person and unknown reasons WHY the murders were committed. A perfect villain to choose to scare people. The book brought up an interesting point if there were to be a copy cat Ripper killer is that how people would act? Buying slogan shirts, top hats and trying to see the murders scenes? I probably would have been more afraid if the book didn't have a paranormal explanation. Which thankfully it did so I am able to sleep at night without fear of the psychotic Ripper.
Character
Aurora aka Rory: I do like Rory as a female character. I admire how willing she is to change schools her senior year, to a foreign country's school none the less. There is nothing extraordinary about Rory to begin with, she is friendly and an overall fun person with an interesting family. As the book progresses through the Ripper like murders and something strange is going on with her I continue to admire and appreciate her inner strength.
Ending
The ending got very intense and gripping. I liked how things progressed and unfolded for the conclusion. I also like it in a series when the book is summed up, the villain is dealt with and a new villain will arise for the next book. I was left feeling I got a good conclusion, but a final twist was added to keep me coming back for the next book.

Would Have Liked
One of the characters has a cockney accent and I wish Maureen would have written the accent within speaking lines, for example '"Do you think..." Again, she said fink instead of think.' Our character Rory just states how she says things instead of just actually writing the accent within the book. I personally enjoy reading the accent, sometimes it maybe a little bit of puzzling out the sentence but it makes the book feel more authentic.

I Don't Agree
In the summary it states "romance" is in the book and I disagree. I don't really think I would consider this book romantic at all. There was a little bit of the developing crush, some snogging and that was about it. I like having a break from romance, so I was glad there wasn't really much in the book and I won't ever describe this book as romantic or having romance.

Recommendation
YA thriller, slight horror and fantasy. Ripper fans have got to read the book. 

Releases September 29th 2011

Information
Shades of London series
The Name of the Star
Unknown how long series will be

Other Works
Little Blue Envelopes
13 Blue Envelopes
The Last Little Blue Envelope
Scarlet
Suite Scarlett
Scarlett Fever
Novels
The Key to the Golden Firebird
The Burmudez Triangle
Devilish
Girl At Sea


<3Books

No comments: