Thursday, August 18, 2011

Claire de Lune Review

Claire de Lune

Summary
Torn between two destinies?

Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf.

As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?.



What I Liked
Werewolves
Finally a world that the females are the only one that carry the werewolf gene. In most werewolf books the males are the dominate carriers and very few females exist. The books is very female empowerment and coming of age for our young new werewolf character. Werewolves are also known to exist in the world, but very little is known about them and some are trying to cure the virus, more crazy scared fanatics.
Characters
Claire: I was very presently surprised about her character. I was initially assuming she might be this spoiled rotten brat that gets all boohoo poor me I'm a freak now. But she came to terms with it with some resistance, but she took it surprisingly well considering her world was completely turned up side down. She has secrets galore to keep, but the things she is now able to do as werewolf are very cool. 
Matthew: Young budding love in the middle of her confusing new transformations. What a crazy time to try to built a relationship upon lies and deceit, but considering that his father is head of research for curing the werewolf gene things need to be kept from him. Many things are a bit shaky and risky for Claire, but she learns about his polar opposite opinion to his father's obsession.
Rouge Werewolf
I liked how you get to be in the mind of the murdering werewolf.  You get to know her angers and joys of killing innocent people without  knowing her identity. I went through a few different possibilities, but didn't quite grasp who it was till Claire herself figured it out, but I'm not the puzzling type of person.

A Little Ashamed of Myself
I was a bit hesitant when I first started to read the book, I read some very nasty reviews on goodreads so it put me a little off of the book. So yes I will admit I am ashamed of myself for taking others opinions so seriously. Not everyone will like the same books, but what matters the most is if I like it and create my own opinions about why I like it or don't and most importantly let others see why I personly did or didn't like it and let them come to their own opinions. I did enjoy this book thoroughly. I liked all the characters, the issues, the not so great relationship Claire has with her mom, the vulnerability she overcomes and the world these werewolves are in. 

Recommendation
Young adult paranormal romance reader, girl power for the werewolves and people who like coming of age and learning to accept yourself and learn to deal with things as they come your way.

Information
Duology
1) Claire de Lune
2) Nocturne out

The Gathering Dark
Unknown if this is an independent novel or a series. Unknown possible publication date.


<3Books

No comments: