Friday, May 27, 2011

Armchair BEA: Blogging Relationships

Nurturing Book Blogging Relationships
Day 4

Day 4:  Nurturing Blogging Relationships

Publisher
I actually haven't really done any personal requesting from a publisher. I have done requesting through Netgalley.com or through the author. A few authors have asked their followers if they would like to send in their blogging information and they in turn would pass along the information to the publisher. I have gotten 1 book through this process, So Silver Bright by Lisa Mantchev. I hope to one day get the nerve to try requesting by myself.

Authors
I love authors they are so freaking amazing. I have been able to connect some of them via twitter, mostly Facebook or even through their blog. Following authors blogs is what actually got me started with my blogging page. I had so many author blogs on my favorites tab and it was just getting kind of crazy and confusing, so to make it easier for me and more fun I decided to start my blog. Since I now have a home base for my books I have been able to connect with authors with more ease. By just commenting back and forth, gushing about their books or subject they have been so generous as to gift me with a few ARCs. Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini and Dark Awakening by Kendra Leigh Castle are those two. Such wonderful people.
I am also fortunate enough to live in a bookie city, Seattle, so a decent amount of authors will travel on book tours through here. I still need to get better about talking to them more, I get a little shy and nervous when talking to me. Kimberly Derting is an awesome person, I have meet her a few times and she remembers me. Yes, I am a event junkie. I love telling people about the next book signing and going to as many as I can. My signed book count is 85+ and counting. I love to meet the authors I have read. 

Blogger
I love connecting with my fellow book bloggers. I will try to remember who I commented on and go back to the page to see if they have responded back to me. I also try to respond to everyone who comments on my blog as well. I love how Rachel of Fiktshun always makes a comment to everyone and I try to do the same so I can connect with the people who are taking the time to view what I have to say.

My Advice 
Be kind to everyone authors, blogger and publishers alike. If you don't get replies back, don't take it personally many people are very busy. The book blogging community is very awesome when you actually take the time to connect with them. I have picked a few bloggers and try to connect with them as much as I can, I try not to overwhelm myself with trying to get as many people as I can to connect with. Quality of quantity.  Blogging for many is a hobby and don't loose site of that, enjoy it.


<3Books

3 comments:

Jennifer A said...

I have only sent in a couple requests to publishers, but I haven't heard anything back. I'm pretty new at blogging, so I can understand not getting a reply. It's worth a shot though!

It's awesome that you connect with so many authors! I didn't even really know that authors had blogs until I started my own. It is so amazing that authors are so reachable. I love it!

Rachel is awesome, and I love her blog. She has some really thought provoking stuff on there!

Most of the book blogging community is great about visiting and commenting back on my blog when I visit them. It's so awesome that the book blogging world is so connected! I've had other types of blogs before, and those definitely aren't as connected with followers and participation.

Great post!

Jennifer of Little Shelf

Kristina said...

Authors are a lot of fun to follow, you never know what little extra tidbit you are going to learn. I started following them to find out when they were going to be touring. I starting going to events almost 4 years ago, so I have a lot of experience and knowledge on how they work. I'm a senior :)

Cherry said...

Oh no, you can't put them authors in your favourites tab... for me, I will need a screen as wide a Buckingham palace for them to fit! :)