Monday, May 2, 2011

Moonglass Review

Moonglass 

Summary
When Anna was little, she and her mother used to search for sea glass, but since they looked at night, they called it moonglass. Now, ten years after her mother's mysterious death, her father is working as head lifeguard on the same beach where her mother grew up and her parents first met and fell in love.

Reluctant to get close to anyone (including her father) and not pleased about having to start at a new school, Anna begins to spend more time alone, running the length of the beach and wondering about who her mother really was. After meeting a lifeguard named Tyler, she slowly lets her guard down and together they start exploring the abandoned houses that dot the beach.

But when learning more about her mother's past leads to a painful discovery, Anna must reconcile her desire for solitude with ultimately accepting the love of her family and friends.

I will be honest, I did have issues with writing this review, not because I didn't like it but because it was beautiful and touching with a very sad subject. So I'm going to stray from my typical review format and just write what I felt while reading Moonglass.

While I was reading this book I wanted to go to the beach and lay in the warm sun. Swim in the ocean and search the sand for rare pieces of sea glass while holding my husbands hand walking down the beach. Take a run on the sand while the sun comes up or explore old abandoned homes wondering who the people where that use to live there.
The funny thing is I really don't the ocean, I'm not a strong swimmer and got caught in a little under tow when I was 10 and have been scared of the ocean since. I don't like the "hot" sun, being from Washington I enjoy warm sun between 60-75 where you can wear jeans and a light coat if you want too. I'm not a heat person at all. I also don't like to jog because it's boring and I have a sprinters form from all my years of playing soccer. But the searching for seaglass and looking into the old cottages sounds like a lot of fun.

The hardest part about this book was how close to home the subject of the book was, no I didn't loose my mom to suicide, but I did loose both my cousin and my sister's boyfriend to their selfish decisions. I understand and empathize with Anna's pain. The book is over 10 years later after Anna lost her mom and she is still dealing with the effects and pains of that loss and guilt of "what if". I look at my family and see the rift between brothers that has never healed and I don't think it will ever. I wish that I could have been in my cousin's life more and been a positive influence for him away from drugs, alcohol and trouble, but I know I could never had made a difference. I see my sister struggling with relationships, but she has finally found the right type of caring guy to handle her with care. I wish that he hadn't done this to my sister, but I know she will become a stronger person because of it.
Suicide is the hardest death for family and friends to deal with. The self choice without explanation or a simple note written on a wall in red marker saying "I love you all" is devastating. The lasting effects of the people surrounding that choice will always be ever present and a painful touchy subject.

I could go on and on about the subject but I won't. This book is both beautiful and touching. I'm very happy how it ended and so proud of Anna. Healing takes time and remembering the good times are all that you can do in life.

You should check this book out for yourself, don't let my rant about suicide steer you away. The book is more about Anna discovering how to heal. The book touched a very personal part of my life and I loved that about the book. 

Moonglass releases Tuesday May 3rd


What book have you read that has touched your heart?


<3Books

3 comments:

Fiktshun said...

Wow! I can see why this book was so difficult to review. I very much enjoyed the personal element you added to your review. It shows the connection you made with the story even if it was painful for you. It's wonderful when a story can do that, as Moonglass has, even when it is a difficult subject to deal with wrapped in such a sad story.

I'm so glad you were able to come up with the right way to express what this story meant for you. Great review!

Diana said...

thanks for sharing your personal thoughts, Kristina. I see why this must have been hard for you to write. I've heard both good and bad things about Moonglass, but after reading your thoughts, i think i'll pick it up and make up my own opinion about it. Thanks so much for posting, you can tell you really liked the book and that makes me want to read it even more.

Kristina said...

Thanks Lovely Getaway and Fiktshun

I hope you enjoy reading the book, let me know what you think Lovely