Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Kiss in Time Review

A Kiss in Time
By Alex Flinn

Summary
Talia fell under a spell...Jack broke the curse.
I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic...
I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind.
I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger's soft kiss.
I couldn't help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn't know this would happen.
Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner!
Now I'm stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels...The good news: My parents will freak!
Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?

What I Liked
Sleeping Beauty
I do enjoy new versions of fairy tales. This version takes the old story and puts a modern spin on things. Making the princess sleep for 100 years and the boy be anything but a charming prince, more like a selfish modern day boy. The heart of Sleeping Beauty still remains within the story, a curse, pricked by a spindle, sleeps for a long time, awakens by loves 1st kiss and than things get a little different.

Not My Favorite
Characters
Princess Talia: Spoiled, selfish brat and she stays this way for a long time, Only when she it taken away from the castle and people don't know she is a princess does her attitude finally change and she becomes a more likeable character.
Jack: I would consider him a privileged kid that is crying out of attention by causing issues. He likes to party and is obsessed with his ex-girlfriend who cheated on him. He too also makes a turn around when he realized he is responsible for Talia's safety. 

By The End
I did come to like the characters and I was rooting for them to be together. I enjoyed the new twist that was added and I like how everything turned out. 


Original 
Was published in 1697 by Charles Parrault in French La Belle au bois dormant "The Beauty sleeping in the wood"
In 1812 The Brothers Grimm version was titled Little Briar Rose

Disney's Sleeping Beauty
I love this version, the animation is beautiful and the characters are so loveable.


Other Sleeping Beauty Books I Have Read
Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

 Night's Rose by Annaliese Evans

Do you have a favorite version of Sleeping Beauty?


<3Books

No comments: