Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bookography (22)

Bookography

Bookography is a fun new way to share the beauty of books with photography. Take a picture with the book being the focus or inspiration and share the picture(s) you have created for the week.

Book
Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer
Blood Rose

I went through a few different ideas for this picture while I was trying to find the supplies I need to create this photo. 
The Rose
I was going to get a fake fabric rose, but I didn't want to spend $3 for a semi decent looking rose. My next idea was to make a silk ribbon rose, that didn't work at all. I tryed teaching myself through YouTube videos, but I couldn't figure it out. I remembered I had these paper craft roses and I decided to try it. 
The Paint
I was thinking originally I wanted to have more "blood", like a pool of blood with more splatters on the rose, but when I was setting it up and trying to figure out how to incorporate the book I noticed the single drop of blood. So I decided to try simple
The Mirror
Originally I always had the mirror idea, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to put a pool of blood on my little decorative mirror. I then got the idea while at the store to get a frame, have the glass sitting on the book with the bloody rose on top. I did buy the frame, but as I was setting it up I decided to make this easy and try the mirror.

Post Editing
I wanted to have the red really pop in this photo, so I saturated the oranges, yellows and greens. Added a little Fill Light and there you have it the final photo.

If you would like to participate please do. I will post my Bookography post each week on Wednesdays. I would love if you would link back to my blog and share your own link in the comments.

To see my previous weeks pictures check out my Bookography tab 


<Bookography

10 comments:

Kat said...

Woah, I really love this one! I especially like the reflective aspect of the photo. :D

Kristan said...

I think its perfect. Absolutely gorgeous. You have a real talent!

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Alba said...

~and the drooling keeps coming~
I didn't know it was some kind of meme you had going on!!!
*-* I shall participate!!! I'll try my best not to be lazy...which is the activity that's getting in my way right now T_T

I LOVE this picture!! OMG!! the colors and the work you went through...I almost always don't like to edit my shots...
lol
I post them raw haha with all their ugliness T_T ~I'm not such a good photographer lol neither a creative...I try~
but you've given me ideas!!! >.<
~rubs hands together~

Kristina said...

@Kat Thanks, I really like the reflective part too. I think I want to play more with mirrors and photography, I think it will be fun.

@Kristan Thanks, I have improved and will continue to improve.

@Alba Yep, I need to figure out how to add that add link thing to the post.

Thanks, I'm really happy how this one turned out. Editing can be a lot of fun, it adds a different element and can even change the story to the photo. Don't be afraid/against to playing with your photos. It will make you a better photo and help you to analyze your photo.

Hey practice makes perfect, I want to redo some of my earlier photos. The concept it good, but my skill in handling my camera wasn't there. I know I can make them better.

I can't wait to see what you do. Just have fun with it.

Bookluvr Mindy said...

I love this pic! So pretty!!!!

Kristina said...

Thanks Mindy :)

Fiktshun said...

This picture is gorgeous. I love how the process came together for you. It's not the idea you started out with, but it organically came together and became something amazing.

I also love the blood spill on the D in Bloodrose almost mirrored (haha) in the single drop on the flower.

Beautiful photo.

Jaime said...

Absolutely gorgeous! What a fabulous idea you had and I love that you explain how it all came together. I wish I had more time to participate in something this awesome. I will however keep stalking your blog and enjoying your bookography :)

-Patricia

Kristina said...

@Fiktshun Thanks, the process and evolution of this photo was interesting and I just had to share the story.

@Patricia Thanks Maybe one day you will get the chance to try it at least once :D

Lori Burton said...

Thanks for postinng this