Saturday, January 21, 2012

Never Eighteen Review

Never Eighteen

Summary

Austin Parker is on a journey to bring truth, beauty, and meaning to his life.

Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. The doctors say his chances of surviving are slim to none even with treatment, so he’s decided it’s time to let go.

But before he goes, Austin wants to mend the broken fences in his life. So with the help of his best friend, Kaylee, Austin visits every person in his life who touched him in a special way. He journeys to places he’s loved and those he’s never seen. And what starts as a way to say goodbye turns into a personal journey that brings love, acceptance, and meaning to Austin’s life.


What I Loved
Emotion 
The book contained so much emotion, for the main character Austin who is going to die soon and all the friends and family surrounding him. At the end I cried a lot, usually it will just be runny nose, but this was book had tears streaming down my cheek. Typically I say away from these types of books, but it was so worth the read and tears. A bittersweet read.
Timeline 
The timeline for this book was really short. The whole book except for the last 20 pages took place over Saturday and Sunday. Within those two days we really did get to understand Austin and his mission to help people realize why they needed to live their life while they have it.
The Places
Austin wants to go do some of the typical Seattle stuff like have lunch at the Space Needle and walk through the EMP (Experience Music Project) a museum-esk thing dedicated to music. He also took a hike on Mt Rainer up to Comet Falls, I want to go on that hike this summer. All of the rest of the description on Tacoma makes me want to go there as well.

What I Didn't Like
It was short book and I would have read more, but at the same time the amount of information you got was just right for the story and the feel of the book.

Recommendation 
Worth the read just make sure you have a box of tissues with you by the end of the book.

Information 
Genre: YA Contemporary
Debut novel

I went to Megan's Launch party on January 17th, you should check out my Recap of the event.


<3Books

4 comments:

Bookluvr Mindy said...

Ah! A book that makes you cry like that is always a keeper! Nice review.


bookluvrmindy
Magical Urban Fantasy Reads

Brenda said...

I loved reading this review! Thanks for stopping by my IMM and telling me to read it ASAP!

brenda

Kat said...

I love books that actually make me FEEL things, so this one sounds perfect. (: Great review!

Kristina said...

@Mindy A good cry is needed every once in a while

@Brenda Thanks, I hope you enjoy it

@Kat I enjoy books that bring me back down to earth and make me evaluate myself.