Saturday, January 7, 2012

Nightshade Review

Nightshade

Summary
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

 
What I Liked
Paranormal 
Wolves aka Guardians:These wolves are awesome! Definitely one of my favorite versions of wolf shape shifters. I like that they have easy access to both forms, human and wolf and they can pull some of their wolf traits to make them more menacing. Their clothes aren't shredded to pieces so no naked awkwardness in this book. They can also be both born and created into wolves.
Others: Witches, wraiths, succubi and incubus oh my. All the bad and scary creatures get to make an appearance too. A lot of interesting and intriguing history of the Keepers(witches) gets revealed in the book.
Characters
Calla Nightshade: I love her character, a good strong, leading alpha female. She doesn't take no shit from anyone and I like that about her. I like that she is willing to accept change, listen to reason and fight against what she believes and knows.
Romance
Two boys to choose from and she is having cravings for both of the boys in different ways. Who will she choose? Who will she end up with? Will she go back and forth in the next two books? Awe the romantic tension just adds to the book.

Team Boy
Renier VS Shay
Ren: Young alpha male wolf of Bane, cocky, self-assured, arranged marriage to Calla, he makes her blood boil, share some intense moments
Shay: Human, unknown family history, reads books, loner due to all his moving, new boy in town, unafraid of the scary wolves, saved by Calla which is punishable by death, makes her feel feelings, shares a few intense moments, he is Calla's forbidden fruit
Verdict: Well if you couldn't already tell I'm Team Shay. I just like Shay's character more . Ren is too slutty and I hate when men get away with sleeping around with many women and woman get chastised for even lusting after a man.

Didn't Like
I did get a little confused in the beginning about the history of the Guardians, Keepers and Seekers. Eventually it was explained and then it went all out the window with Calla and Shay's investigations started leading them to the real history. It wasn't that hard to comprehend once it was presented.

Recommendation
If you haven't read this series yet you should. The final book in the trilogy just came out so  now you can read all the books together and no waiting for the final book.

Information 
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance
Nightshade Trilogy
Nightshade (hardback and paper)
Wolfsbane (hardback and paper)
Bloodrose (hardback)

Andrea is going on tour and I will be seeing her at the WA location. Check out her Tour Stops to see if she is coming near you.

Have you read the series yet?


<3Books

3 comments:

Kat said...

Great review. :) I can't wait to read this series. I like how it has a lot of other paranormal creatures in it, too. :D I had originally thought it was only about wolves.

Kristina said...

I'm Team Shay too. I think Ren had some great qualities by the end though. When we got to see the real him. I just finished Wolfsbane and it was so good. Can't wait to read Bloodrose.

Kristina said...

@Kat it mainly is about the wolves, but other creatures are in there.

@Kristina Yep I love Shay, Ren is great, but Shay is better.