Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Marissa Meyer Launch Party

Marissa Meyer
Cinder Launch Party Event
 January 3, 2011


This was the first time I have ever been to a launch party, I wasn't really expecting a true party. I was expecting to have the standard book event signing, a reading Q&A and signing line. Instead there was food, cake, Marissa chatting and greeting people, an introduction, showing the book trailer and a reading. After that the huge line started. It was wonderful to see the HUGE support group behind Marissa, there were so many family members and friends there cheering her on.


Having a huge camera made me look very official. Marissa's dad came up and introduced himself to me, I wish I could have said I was part of some reporting group, but no I'm just a little blogger and reader enthusiast. I got to talk to her publisher and the Seattle Media Rep which was really wonderful. With my camera I got to take come awesome pictures of the event. I wish I would have taken some others of her family as well.

Waiting for the presentation to start. Her Grandma and parents are right up front and center. This little room did completely fill up, the back wall had people standing as well as people waiting just outside the door.

The Presentation
There was some technical difficulty with getting the projector's sound to turn on. Originally the plan was to show the book trailer first, have Marissa talk about her book a little and than finish off with a reading. Instead she first talked. Marissa preceded to tell us that earlier in the day she went to Barnes and Noble in Seattle where she was signing stock of 12 books. The B&N staff could only find 11 and one was missing. As she was walking out of the store she saw a man reading her book. Marissa went up to him and introduced herself as the author. He told her he was enjoying the book and she ended up signing the book for him. Marissa got a little emotional telling us this story and how surreal, emotional and a strange moment that was for her when she realized that the book is not longer hers but she can share it with everyone.



A reading what done by her friend Becca who was one of the first people to read the story. Becca had given Marissa a lot of positive feed back and that is when Marissa figured that this could actually work.

After the reading was finished we than all when downstairs to wait in the signing line. I think I was in line around an hour and a half, not too bad, but not that quick either. I ate some yummy chocolate cake and had some of the appetizers that were provided.

The Signing
The line, I was further back


There was also a raffle for two winners (sadly I didn't win) and everyone got a little swag gift bag



That was the event, it was a lot of fun. I hopefully will be able to attend another event of hers that follows the tradition signing event with the reading and Q&A. I love the Q&A portion of events, even though I never ask questions other people come up with good questions.

 There was a little post that Marissa asked people to wear their red shoes in celebration of the release of her book. There were a lot of red shoes, including me as well. That was super cute to see so many people wearing all sorts of red shoes. The person who was doing photography for the event took pictures of everyone's red shoes, I think she will be posting those on Facebook for the wearers to tag themselves.

 The goodie bag contained 2 bookmarks, a postcard, a sticker, her business card, 2 fortune cookies and a nuts and bolts bracelet that Marissa made.

The fortune cookies have fortunes that pertain to the book.

Tour Schedule
January 3: Tacoma, WA
CINDER LAUNCH PARTY!
Garfield Book Co.
7:00 p.m.

January 4: Cincinnati, OH
Joseph-Beth Booksellers
7:00 p.m.

January 6: Chapel Hill, NC
Flyleaf Books
7:00 p.m.

January 8: Lynnwood, WA
Barnes & Noble
2:00 p.m.

January 11: Salt Lake City, UT
The King's English Bookshop
7:00 p.m.

January 12: Provo, UT
Provo City Library
7:00 p.m.

January 23: Naperville, IL
Anderson's Bookshop
7:00 p.m.
Note: Megan Miranda, author of FRACTURE, will also be at this event!

January 24: Petaluma, CA
Copperfield's Books
3:00 p.m.

January 26: San Francisco, cA
Books Inc. “Not Your Mother’s Book Club” at Opera Plaza
7:00 p.m.
Note: Megan Miranda (FRACTURE) and Daisy Whitney (THE RIVALS) will also be at this event!

January 27: Portland, OR
Powell's Books
7:00 p.m.
Note: Megan Miranda, author of FRACTURE, will also be at this event!

*NEW*
February 10-14: Vancouver and Victoria, BC, Canada
Details TBD

Will you be able to meet Marissa Meyer?

<3Book Events

14 comments:

Fiktshun said...

Oh the event looked amazing! You seriously always get the BEST authors near where you are. Even though you are so far back in the line, you still got in and got the book signed. Am super jealous.

Now that you have the post up you HAVE to read it!

The print edition looks amazing!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

Looks like a fun event. No one ever seems to come close enough for me to go to their signings. I guess that's what happens when you live in the middle of the desert.
Kristin
Book Sniffers Anonymous

Author on the Loose said...

We know the power of red shoes! Congrats on your launch!

Kat said...

You're lucky that you got to go! It looks like it was so much fun. :) The red shoes idea is so cute!

Megan Bostic said...

Your pics are amazing. So nice to meet you. Will hopefully see you soon.

Kristina said...

@Fiktshun I'm pretty lucky living in WA, I love it and wouldn't move ever! I'm planning on reading it soon. I really want read it so much especially after the event.

@Kristin That is so sad, well you should plan a vacation around an awesome event. Every book lover needs to go to at least one signing in their life.

@Charlotte Red shoe power

@Kat It was awesome seeing so many people in red shoes. I should have taken more pictures of those.

@Megan Thanks, I had fun taking pictures. My 1st author event with my new camera. It was nice to meet you too, I'm going to try and make it to your event.

Bookluvr Mindy said...

Looks like an awesome event! I'm really hoping that I'll be able to make it to the one in SF! *Fingers Crossed*

Mark Meyer said...

Great post, Kristina, thank you. It was a really fun evening and it was nice meeting you as well.

Melanie said...

Looks like everyone had a blast! I remember seeing the Cinder twitter thing going on, and I thought it was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I don't have a pair of red heels. A complete fashion oversight on my part!

Kristina said...

@Mindy I really hope you are going to go to the SF event. YOu will have to make a post about it if you do.

@Mark Thanks, it was nice to meet you too and it was a wonderful event, I'm glad it was so huge.

@Melanie It was a blast. You should get a pair of red heels they are fun to have.

Jaime said...

This event looked really fun. I'm with Mindy, I hope that I'll be able to make the SF signing. :)

-Patricia

Kristina said...

Wow! Awesome post. I feel like I was there. Great pics!

Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

These pictures are SO pretty!! There are a ton of people at the signing! I love your story about how Marissa saw a man reading the book! I left a comment on your IMM as well. I'd love for you to participate in my Cinderella week! :)

Kristina said...

@Patricia I hope you will be going as well. I really wish I could have gone to the other signing today, but I guess Ill have to wait until next time.

@Kristina I had fun there and I had fun taking the pictures.

@Backwards Story Thanks. There was a lot of people there. The story about the man was so cute, I loved it.