Monday, March 19, 2012

Gate to Kandrith Review

Gate to Kandrith
By Nicole Luiken

Summary
Sarathena Remillus, daughter of the newly elected Primus of the Republic of Temboria, has been given a mission: discover the secret of slave magic. Anxious to escape the corruption and treachery of the capital, Sara welcomes the chance to finally prove herself far away in Kandrith, the tiny nation of former slaves.

Accompanying her on the journey is Lance, a Kandrithan to whom Sara owes her life. Lance despises the nobility, and is determined to resist his desire for Sara, despite her attempts to entice him into divulging the secret of his magic.


Soon their travels become fraught with peril, and Sara discovers she's fallen victim to the ultimate betrayal. To end a war between two nations, she will have to make the ultimate sacrifice...


What I Loved
POV
The book switches between three characters Sara, Lance and another mystery character that is either the bad guy or the good guy and we don't know which till the last quarter of the book. I enjoyed getting information from all three different points of views. At times I got a little confused when the pov switched characters but only for a few sentences.
Characters
Sara: I'm not much of a princess fan so at first I went back and forth with her character, but as the story progressed and I got to learn more about her I came to respect and love her character. Throughout the book you get to find out she isn't the typical spoiled rotten princess and that she is willing to stand up for herself and try to view things with an open mind. I also like how she has this "wildness" in her that doesn't let her the the proper docile little princess her father wants her to be.
Lance: A complete mystery even though the book goes to his pov he stays very tight lipped about himself. He is an intriguing character from being first introduced at this mysterious rescuer, who was a slave but is actually a prince of sorts. He is also passionate, protective and giving and I like those protective men. 
Never a Dull Moment
Throughout the whole book something new was always happening, new things were being discovered, attempted murder on Sara's life, escape, death, passion and the ugly truth was revealed. There isn't a good place to put down the book and I hated when I had to put it down. 
Ending
Oh my goodness I can't believe it ended like that, I really want the next book like now!! I did tear up at the end, it was a bittersweet moment. A definite cliffhanger ending, but everything else was summed up and ended for this book and a new issue presented itself for the next book.
Fantasy World
I love reading new created fantasy worlds they are always so intriguing. This world is interesting with different gods and goddesses being prayed to and a major social segregation. There is the Republic where the slave owners live, Slaveland aka Kandrith were the escaped free slaves live and there is the Grasslands and a few other place where the barbarians live (from the Republic view point).

Some Confusion 
Fantasy World
At the same time it is confusing starting off a new fantasy book with a whole new fantasy world especially one that has lots of new and very different names. Trying to figure out the rules for this world takes a little time.

Recommendation 
Got to read this book. Light on the adult content, but still has some.

Releases 
In eBook format 
March 26h 2012

Information 
Kandrith Series (a duology)
genre: fantasy
Gate to Kandrith
Soul of Kandrith working on

Other Series
genre: YA fantasy 
Violet Eyes
Silver Eyes
Angel Eyes working on
Other YA Novels
Frost
The Catalyst
Unlocking the Doors
Dreamline
 

<3Books

1 comment:

Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

Oh, I have an ARC of this to read. I requested it because I used to love her EYE duo. I don't remember if I knew there was a princess or not, but you saying that makes me want to read it even more! Unlike you, I AM a princess girl, lol. Ack, one of THOSE endings? Nooooo! I both love and hate when it's too hard for me to put a book down...that's when I'm up so late that I don't get any sleep beforew work, lol! You have me wanting to read this even more, thank you <3